
1614 results found with an empty search
- Carnage ensues as rainy weather hits
Carnage ensues as rainy weather hits Carnage ensues as rainy weather hits 1/4 Share GK CRONJE 8 June 2021 With winter being on our doorstep, fog will also become a major issue, and restrict visibility of motorists while driving. During the course of last week, the rainy weather made life extremely difficult for EMS and traffic personnel, as a slew of collisions were reported. According to available information, a total of five lives were lost, and several motorists and passengers were injured. The traffic department would like to urge motorists to drive carefully, especially in rainy weather. With winter being on our doorstep, fog will also become a major issue, and restrict visibility of motorists while driving. < Previous Article Next Article >
- Botsings teister motoriste
Botsings teister motoriste Botsings teister motoriste 1/2 Share SH HATTINGH 18 Augustus 2020 Nooddienste was druk besig met verskeie tonele, met skare wat hul vergaap aan die botings. Die afgelope naweek was ‘n besige naweek vir die nooddienste, met verskeie botsings wat plaasgevind het. Al die nodige dienste was blitsvinnig op die tonele, en die owerhede vra alle motoriste of veilig te bestuur ten alle tye. < Previous Article Next Article >
- CPF and SAPS visit communities
CPF and SAPS visit communities CPF and SAPS visit communities 1/2 Share SM HATTINGH 12 July 2022 The biggest scam is the company called Ermelo Auctioneers. On Saturday and Sunday, the Community Police Forum (CPF) with SAPS held a meeting with the community. On Saturday, the meeting was held at Nyibe Sport Grounds, where the community of Nyibe could raise their concerns regarding all the crime in the area. During the meeting, the community raised their voices about, rape, murder and illegal shebeens and taverns. The biggest concerns are the shebeens and taverns that doesn’t have legal liquor licenses, and that stay open the whole night. The community members requested the SAPS and CPF member to do patrols in the area. After the meeting, quick arrangements were made from the SAPS, and a patrol was done. Several tuckshops was asked by SAPS members to close their shops. During the night, alcohol was confiscated from shebeens that couldn’t show their license to the SAPS. Patrols were done through all the informal settlements to search for illegal taverns and shebeens. On Sunday, the second meeting was held at School of Rail, TransNet in Klein Street. Sector 3 community attended the meeting, and every community member raised their concerns in Sector 3. The biggest concerns are the use of drugs, and the prostitution. The chairperson of Sector 3, Mr. Dumisani, told the community members that there is an action plan regarding all the issues in the sector, and that they will be doing all the patrols and all the necessary planning to stop all of issues in the sector. The SAPS would also like to inform the community of Ermelo about all the online scams that are currently doing the round on the internet. The biggest scam is the company called Ermelo Auctioneers, that sell vehicles for a ridiculous good price, but before you can see the vehicle you need to do a deposit so that they can keep the vehicle for you. Remember, if its to good to be true, its not true. Please be aware of all the scammers on the internet. CPF and SAPS members would like to thank the community members who joined the meeting and raised their concerns, and assured everyone that they will make a point to work on all the concerns. < Previous Article Next Article >
- High profile suspects in court for corruption
High profile suspects in court for corruption High profile suspects in court for corruption 1/1 Share GK CRONJE 13 April 2021 It is alleged that the trio colluded to bribe a prosecutor to withdraw charges that Masenga is facing in contravention of the Immigration Act and fraud, NPA spokesperson Sipho Ngwema said in a statement. The National Prosecuting Authority’s (NPA) acting head in Mpumalanga, Matric Luphondo, and a Hawks lieutenant-colonel were among the trio who appeared in the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on corruption charges. The bail application for the Mpumalanga head of Human Settlements in Mpumalanga, Kebone Masenga, the Hawks Unit Commander of Serious Corruption Investigation, Lieutenant-Colonel Ayanda Plaatje, and Luphondo is set to continue after the court refused the State’s application for a seven-day postponement. It is alleged that the trio colluded to bribe a prosecutor to withdraw charges that Masenga is facing in contravention of the Immigration Act and fraud, NPA spokesperson Sipho Ngwema said in a statement. “The prosecutor reported the matter to his seniors as well as the police. Subsequently to further investigations, the three were arrested. The NPA has initiated the relevant labour processes against Luphondo. While the NPA is disappointed that any of its officials is entangled in such allegations, in conflict with our new values which are anchored on high ethical conduct, integrity and credibility, we take pride in the men and women who are resolute in defending our new vision. It is encouraging that there were prosecutors and investigators who acted swiftly and with honesty and strong moral principles in defence of our values and the law.’’ Ngwema said. < Previous Article Next Article >
- CIT robber sent to the pen
CIT robber sent to the pen CIT robber sent to the pen 1/1 Share GK CRONJE 23 March 2021 His accomplice, Sandile Thabani Thabethe (29), pleaded guilty, and was sentenced to 10 years direct imprisonment by the same court on the 6 October 2020. The Bethal Regional Court on Wednesday, 17 March 2021, sentenced Mfundo Muzi Mpondombi (31) to 15 years direct imprisonment for armed robbery with aggravating circumstances, and 8 years for attempted murder which the sentence will run concurrently. The sentence follows the incident which took place on the 12 October 2018, whereby G4S Security guards were collecting money from OK in Bethal. On the day, the G4S staff member emerged from OK with the money trolley, when he was accosted by the suspect. The security guard was subsequently shot and wounded, whereafter the suspect grabbed the trolley and attempted to flee on foot. The SAPS and the security gave chase, and managed to arrest the first suspect. The second suspect, who shot the G4S officer, grabbed the dropped money and ran away. The stolen money was later recovered. On 23 November 2018, information was received regarding the whereabouts of the suspect, and the Secunda Serious Organised Crime Investigation and Secunda Crime Intelligence raided an address in Emzinoni, Bethal, where the suspect was. His accomplice, Sandile Thabani Thabethe (29), pleaded guilty, and was sentenced to 10 years direct imprisonment by the same court on the 6 October 2020. < Previous Article Next Article >
- N2 plunderaars maak eerste verskyning in hof
N2 plunderaars maak eerste verskyning in hof N2 plunderaars maak eerste verskyning in hof 1/1 Share SM HATTINGH 17 August 2021 Die waarde van die drie vragmotors wat hulle aan die brand gesteek het is ongeveer R7 500 000.00. Die laaste aanklag van skade of inmenging met die elektrisiteitstoevoer is weens die feit dat die vragmotors steenkool vervoer het na Camden Kragstasie, waar hulle die steenkool nodig het vir elektrisiteitstoevoer. Op Woensdag, 4 Augustus was daar verskeie plunderaars wat 3 vragmotors, asook een dubbel kajuit bakkie aan die brand gesteek het op die N2. Die rede vir die plundering was weens werk wat gesoek word by die Merino Mall. Konstabel Nkambule, wat van die speurtak is, was die ondersoek beampte, en kon daarin slaag om op 5 Augustus vir Mandla Prince Khumalo (22) te arresteer. Op 6 Augustus het Konstabel Nkambule vir Mduduzi Joseph Mzala Pondzole (36) en Makhozi Eszon Msayi Dlamini (57) vasgetrek, en op 9 Augustus het hy Mpendulo Gift Dladla ook gearresteer. Die vier verdagtes het op Dinsdag, 10 Augustus in die Ermelo hof verskyn. Die verdagtes is aangekla vir openbare geweld, kwaadwillige saakbeskadiging, sameswering om noodsaaklike infrastruktuur te beskadig, en skade of inmenging met die elektrisiteitstoevoer. Die verdagtes het die steenkool vragmotors geforseer om te stop, die sleutels gesteel en die bestuurders van die vragmotors geintimideer, waarna hulle die vragmotors aan die brand gesteek het. Die waarde van die drie vragmotors wat hulle aan die brand gesteek het is ongeveer R7 500 000.00. Die laaste aanklag van skade of inmenging met die elektrisiteitstoevoer is weens die feit dat die vragmotors steenkool vervoer het na Camden Kragstasie, waar hulle die steenkool nodig het vir elektrisiteitstoevoer. Verdagte 1 en 4 bly in aanhouding weens vorige sake wat nog nie afgehandel is nie, en verdagte 3 en 4 kan R15 000 opdok vir borg, of hulle bly in aanhouding. Die saak is uitgestel tot 24 Augustus 2021 vir verdere ondersoek. < Previous Article Next Article >
- Lawless taxi driver causes death of infant
Lawless taxi driver causes death of infant Lawless taxi driver causes death of infant 1/1 Share GK CRONJE 20 April 2021 During the course of last week, Ermelo also saw its fair share of reckless driving and violence from taxi drivers towards individuals transporting passengers with private vehicles. According to the SAPS, taxi driver Sibonise Patrick Mathebula (31), allegedly ignored a stop sign in Amersfoort while chasing after a white Toyota Avanza, which was traveling from Ermelo on Tuesday, 15 April 2021. Mathebula collided with two pedestrians, a 20-year-old male and a 23-year-old female. They were accompanied by a five-month-old baby, who died on scene. The injured were transported to hospital for treatment. Mathebula was arrested and appeared before the Amersfoort magistrate’s court on Wednesday. He was charged with culpable homicide and reckless and negligent driving, and was remanded in custody. He appeared before the court for formal bail application on Monday, 19 April 2021. According to the SAPS, the mother of the infant sustained several injuries and is still in hospital, while the second victim was discharged from hospital the next day. During the course of last week, Ermelo also saw its fair share of reckless driving and violence from taxi drivers towards individuals transporting passengers with private vehicles. < Previous Article Next Article >
- Veediefstal verdagtes verskyn weer in hof
Veediefstal verdagtes verskyn weer in hof Veediefstal verdagtes verskyn weer in hof 1/4 Share SM HATTINGH 3 August 2021 Die drie beskuldiges wat nog in aanhouding is, bly in aanhouding, waar die ander drie uit is op parool. Een van die beskuldigdes wat ook in aanhouding was, is oorlede voor die saak gefinaliseer kon word. Op Maandag, 2 Augustus, het die ses verdagtes van die veediefstal saak, wat reeds is 2019 plaasgevind het te Breyten, weer in die Ermelo hof verskyn. Die verdagtes, Jan-Spruyt Steenkamp, Cornelius Johannes van der Walt, Lucas Knulwane Magagula, Sibusiso Jeremaih Mabuse, Dinky Fredman Sibeko en Vusi Mhlongo se saak is nou al verskeie kere uitgestel vir verdere ondersoeke asook bewyse. Tydens hierdie hofverskyning was al die regsverteenwoordigers teenwoordig, waar hulle die saak weer uitgestel het. Die tussentyds se nuwe datum is 1 Oktober 2021, en die twee datums vir verhoor is 26 November en 1 Desember 2021. Die drie beskuldiges wat nog in aanhouding is, bly in aanhouding, waar die ander drie uit is op parool. Een van die beskuldigdes wat ook in aanhouding was, is oorlede voor die saak gefinaliseer kon word. < Previous Article Next Article >
- Bongo and accomplices living in leisure until 2022
Bongo and accomplices living in leisure until 2022 Bongo and accomplices living in leisure until 2022 1/1 Share GK CRONJE 11 May 2021 Some of the accused, as members of Pfuka Afrika CC, received commission of R4.5m. In a bizarre turn of events, the case against former state security minister, Bongani Bongo, and 11 others in connection with the R37.5 million sale and purchase of a farm in Mpumalanga was postponed until January 2022. Bongo, his former wife Sandile Nkosi, and 10 others appeared briefly at the Mbombela magistrate’s court on Tuesday, collectively facing 69 counts of corruption, fraud, theft, money laundering and contravention of the Public Finance Management Act. Bongo, his brother Sipho, Robert Burwise, Patrick Donald Chirwa, Harrington Sizwakhendaba Dhlamini, Blessing Mduduzi Singwane, David Boy Dube, Vusi Willem Magagula, Bongani Louis Henry Sibiya, Elmon Lawrence Mdaka and Sibongile Mercy Mdaka were also arrested by the Hawks in October 2021, following a lengthy investigation. It is alleged that some of the accused acted to exploit the purchase of land by government, and misrepresented facts to the department regarding ownership and the true sale price of the farm. The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) said the real owner of the farm, Petrus van Tonder, was paid only R15m for the farm from the R37.5m. The money was paid into the trust account of Singwane Attorneys in their capacity as conveyancer appointed by the department. Amongst the dubious transactions, closer to home, one of Bongo’s enterprises, Bongiveli CC, entered into a sale and purchase agreement with Fremax Farms for a portion of Rietspruit Farm just outside Ermelo for an amount of R10.5 million. However, Msukaligwa Local Municipality’s valuation of the portion of the Rietspruit Farm was valued at R1.6 million. Msukaligwa Local Municipality has washed their hands of the matter, stating that their paperwork and sale agreement was above board. Little River Trading paid R1.5m as a deposit for the farm and Bongiveli had to deliver a guarantee issued by a bank or financial institution for payment of the balance of the purchase price on or before May 31 2011. Some of the accused, as members of Pfuka Afrika CC, received commission of R4.5m. The accused were released on R10 000 bail each, and is set to appear before the court in January 2022. < Previous Article Next Article >
- Lucky escape for family after shack fire
Lucky escape for family after shack fire Lucky escape for family after shack fire 1/3 Share GK CRONJE 18 May 2021 Residents are warned to be vigilant during the winter season, where dry grass and shrubbery can easily catch fire and cause exponential damage to property, as well as loss of human and animal life. Sunday, 16 May 2021, proved to be a day of fortune for a family living at the Mabuza Farm informal settlement, after their shack was decimated by a fire. In a stroke of luck, no injuries or fatalities were reported. According to the Msukaligwa Local Municipality spokesman, Mandla Zwane, the cause of the blaze was determined to be a nearby veld fire, which in turn caused significant damage to the family’s home. Msukaligwa Fire & Rescue were on scene to extinguish the blaze. Residents are warned to be vigilant during the winter season, where dry grass and shrubbery can easily catch fire and cause exponential damage to property, as well as loss of human and animal life. < Previous Article Next Article >
- ACSU wagte is wakker
ACSU wagte is wakker ACSU wagte is wakker 1/2 Share SH HATTINGH 29 September 2020 ACSU het vir ‘n geruime tyd die verdagte dopgehou, en finaal vasgetrek. Al die gesteelde goedere is terugbesorg aan die eienaar. Op Maandag, 28 September, het ACSU wagte ‘n verdagte man vasgetrek wat al lank soek was. Die verdagte het by verskeie huise al huisware gesteel, en weer probeer verkoop aan ander mense. ACSU het vir ‘n geruime tyd die verdagte dopgehou, en finaal vasgetrek. Die aanklaer het Maandag (gister) ‘n saak ge-open by die SAPD waar hy gearresteer is. Al die gesteelde goedere is terugbesorg aan die eienaar. < Previous Article Next Article >
- Carolina man sentenced to life behind bars for rape
Carolina man sentenced to life behind bars for rape Carolina man sentenced to life behind bars for rape 1/1 Share GK CRONJE 1 September 2020 According to Sgt Mokwana, the child told the teacher that she and her older sister was sexually abused by their father, and the school reported the case to the police. Sgt Gloria Zulu, Family Violence, Child Protection, and Sexual Offenses Unit (FCS) member interviewed the children’s mother after the father was arrested, and discovered that the mother knew that her husband was sexually abusing the children, but failed to report the matter to the police. Sgt. Thabang Mokwana, spokesman for Carolina Police, stated that a man from Carolina, who raped his children, aged seven and 11, has been sentenced to life in prison. The incidents occurred between 6 June 2017 and 22 August 2017, with the 44-year-old man being arrested on 22 August, and the children taken to a place of safety by a social worker. A teacher noticed a sudden change in the child’s performance and behavior at school, and interviewed her out of concern that something may be wrong. According to Sgt Mokwana, the child told the teacher that she and her older sister was sexually abused by their father, and the school reported the case to the police. Sgt Gloria Zulu, Family Violence, Child Protection, and Sexual Offenses Unit (FCS) member interviewed the children’s mother after the father was arrested, and discovered that the mother knew that her husband was sexually abusing the children, but failed to report the matter to the police. Subsequently, the mother was sentenced to five years imprisonment for failing to report the abuse. Both sentences were handed down by the Carolina Regional Court on 24 August 2020. “This sentence will serve as deterrence, especially during this time when gender base violence (GBV) is a concern in the country,” Sgt Mokwana concluded. < Previous Article Next Article >











